Wednesday, March 12, 2014

whirlpool-calypso-washer-need-help-cleaning-out



I have a Whirlpool Calypso washing machine that has (what I believe is) a clogged pump. Can anyone tell me step by step get at the pump to clean it out? I'm new to fixing home appliances. I tried disassembling everything inside the wash tub itself to try and get at the pump inlet but I'm stumped. HELP!!! Oh, the reason I believe the pump is clogged is because it did the same thing last year and after paying the service guy $80 just to come out spend 20 minutes to pull out a dryer sheet from the pump inlet. I'd call him again, but being a member of Michigan's unemployed million, not an option this time. Thank you Jennifer Granholm.

use a putty Knife and push in 2 clips 1 on each side between front panel and top. Clips are 2 to 4 inches from sides. pull up on top as each clip is pushed. top pivots up. remove 4 screws in front panel and take panel off. Tilt washer back aginest wall and remove 3 screws holding lower panel on. pump is black thoing with 2 hoses attached. If pump has 2 spring clips holding it on it is the old style and I would replace it with a new one with a motor and pump assembly. If new style remove 4 torex screws in black part of pump and take lint ball or sock out of it. Make sure the impeller turns freely as sometimes string will tangle around shaft. Put a pan under pump there will be water coming out. Did you take the basket out? if you did be sure there is nothing in the holes in back where the water drains out. usual problem is a bra wire stuck in one of the drain holes with a ball of lint on it.

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a shot tonight and post back if I run into any snags. I had taken apart the agitator, and stuff inside, all that is left inside is the steel tub inside the plastic one and the center piece. How do you like that technical jargon? I'll see what sort of damage I can do.

Alright, maybe Im just blind. Ater I tipped the lid back, I couldn't find the 4 front panel screws or 3 lower panel screws. Are there screws holding the back panel on? Is the pump on the backside of the tub or front? I apologize for my ignorance but, this thing looks like it's all one piece lol.

4 screws look where the clips are 4 philips or torex. screws spaced across top of panel. Pull machine out from wall and tilt back aginest wall and 3 5/16 screws in front of bottom panel under machine. Pump is in back of machine on right side as you look in it. Has 2 hoses connected. Hope this helps

Get model # from machine go to Sears parts and put number in and there will be diagram of machine also with top up look on inside of front panel and there is a complete test proceedure for machine. May even tell change pump. Not to sure about that though.

Thanks for the help, I'll be out of town this weekend but I'll give it a shot Tuesday and post my prgoress.

I have same washer - would not drain. After taking off the hoses etc looking for clogs and not finding them, I went on-line and learned about the bra underwire stuck in the hole where the check ball is supposed to seat problem. Sure enough, I flipped the washer on it's front and used a flashlight to see through the opaque plastic tub - that was the problem.
Since there was no easy way to reach the wiresclog to remove them, I took the plunge and drilled a hole right in the plastic tub. I fished out the gunk, then re-sealed the hole with a rubber plug (see photo - I will try to upload one) plus a little silicone sealer. Washer drains fine and cost me about 20 cents to fix. I can go back and re-clean if necessary too.

The way I take out bra wires is to open top, take off tub ring, remove wash plate cap, take out 6 bolts holding washplate in, remove wash plate and look though holes in basket bottom, I have a pair of long forceps that reaches the wire and pulls it out. One machine I found 4 bra wires in it.






Tags: whirlpool, calypso, washer, help, pump, front panel, aginest wall, back aginest, back aginest wall, give shot, lower panel, panel pump