Monday, March 10, 2014

Maytag Neptune Washing Machine (Model Mah5500) Not Draining



I have a Maytag Neptune Washing machine model MAH5500. Yesterday it stopped draining (pumping the water out). The hose is not kinked and I have no blockages. I ran the test to see if the pump was working but all I hear is a hum sound that gets lower in loudness until it disappears. Is there a specific test I can do to test if the pump (Motor) is dead or maybe test the console? I looked through the huge Maytag Service Manual but it is a bit cryptic on what exact button on the console I'm suppose to push for testing. I have the LED model. The model I have is made in 2003 and I'm looking to see if it is worth repairing or if I should get a new one based on the cost of repairs. Thanks in advance and any help is appreciated.

I ran the machine in service mode and ran the quick service cycle and it passed....but during the drain part of the test it only hummed (no draining). The test ended with a PA. I check the Diagnostic Codes and there is a 01 code. Looking this code up it says no drain. Action to check for is:
-Restricted darin system: I have no kinks and all appreas well. I took the front panel off and I felt the big runner inlet going into the pump and felt nothing but water (no obsticles - not even sure hom something might even get in there but worth a feel).
-Falulty pump: not sure what this really means? The pump itseft....like it might be jammed?
-Loose wire connections: unlikely as I can hear an electrical hum so it is getting current
-Bad Control Board: is this the board on the top of the machine or the circuit board next to the pump?
Any help out there on what I sould actually be looking for?

Take the front of the machine off and find pump. Unplug pump when you have humming noise. If noise stops you either have a bad or jammed pump. Take hoses off and see if you can turn impeller or see if anything is jammed in there. here is a link to your machine Look under base and part 14 is pump be careful taking hoses off there is about 6 gallons water in there.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...ber=MAH5500aww
If you need help taking apart let us know and please keep posted on what you did, Your machine has many problems,

I'm getting somewhere now. I did as you asked. I ran the DIAG and activated the pump, then pulled the power lead from the pump assembly and the humming stopped. I'm now going to pull the hoses off the pump (water has been bailed except for what is in the hose itself) and check for free movement/jammed objects. I'll keep you posted.

WHOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!! I cannot thank you enough! Seems it was that pesky week wacker string caught in the impeller. I remember picking iy up from the driveway now and putting it in my pocket thinking I'll remember to take it out before I go for a shower....well...NOT. Again thanks for the great trouble shooting steps! Have agreat Day!
Charley

Overfilling the basket with clothes can cause some small clothes article to go over the top edge of the basket (the basket is the inner tub with the holes in it) and wind up in the outer tub where the water sits, and then get directly sucked up the discharge pump hose and into the pump. So be careful when packing clothes into the machine.
What I do sometimes, when in doubt, is to put a fair amount in and then let it fill and agitate a bit, then see how many more can go in and still have the water cover them, and without having to cram the clothes in with a stick or something.
...............................
Our posts overlapped. Your string may have gone down one of the holes. But always remember what I said, anyway. Glad you fixed it and saved a bundle.






Tags: maytag, neptune, washing, machine, model, mah5500, draining, into pump, keep posted, Maytag Neptune, Maytag Neptune Washing, Neptune Washing