Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pilot Light Problem On A Carrier Gas Furnace



[SIZE=3]I have a carrier Gas Furnace that has a problem with the pilot light. I will try to describe the problem. It has an automatic pilot igniter. Sometime the unit will start to light the pilot (High-voltage Clicking) and then stop. Try again and stop. Sometime it will light the pilot and after maybe 30s to 1min. it turns off. Now here is the strange part! If I push on the connector on the igniter board it will start back up. Let go of the connector and it turns off. Looked at the board were the connector is soldered to the board and it looked fine. I even re-soldered the connector. I even re-soldered some of the components around the connector. It did not help. At first the board was loose. The screws would not tighten up the board to the mount. I fixed that but it too did not help. After flexing the connector a few times the furnace started working correctly. Restarted the system several times with not problems. This has happen twice now. I though that maybe it was a grounding problem because the board was very loose on the mount. My question is this! Could it still be a grounding problem or should I just replace the Igniter/Lockout Controler?[/SIZE]

Are you able to post a picture or at least the module model and make. If this is the one I think it is, that is a common problem. you will probably need to replace the module

[SIZE=3]If you mean model and makeof the Igniter/Lockout Control box it is the LH33WZ512A. It is in a gray box and the Model and part number's are printed on a white label. It looks like the ones on Ebay if you do a search for that part number. I hope this is what you needed.
Reggie[/SIZE]

That module is known to fail. The fact that your furnace uses it means that your system is pretty old.......

There are 2 modules out there to choose from. Are there any difference in these 2? 1 is the LW33WZ512A and the other is a ICM296. I'm guessing that the ICM296 is just a newer model. Which would be best?
Reggie

ICM module is aftermarket. I have had bad luck with ICM spark modules.

A big thanks for your time and the information.

That wasn't the module I was thinking of, however as hvactech states they also had problems. Appears you have had many years of service before it gave up.






Tags: pilot, light, problem, carrier, furnace, even re-soldered, grounding problem, Igniter Lockout, light pilot, part number, that your, will start