Monday, March 10, 2014

Installing Header Between French Doors And Transom



I will be installing 80 double french doors in a finished opening that is 96 tall. I would like to create a transom above the french doors in the extra space, but I am not sure what is the best way to install the header. Can I just toenail the header to the opening sides (through the drywall to the studs)?
Thanks!
Janice

No, you don't just 'toe-nail' the header -- you support it with trimmer studs and you have a king stud on each end of the header.
A 96 tall opening -- how tall is the wall? If you are dealing with an 8' tall wall, you aren't going to be able to put transom windows above the french doors. You'll need at least a 9' tall wall to get the doors, the transom windows, and the header into the wall.

Originally Posted by jeepgal98
I will be installing 80 double french doors in a finished opening that is 96 tall. I would like to create a transom above the french doors in the extra space, but I am not sure what is the best way to install the header. Can I just toenail the header to the opening sides (through the drywall to the studs)?
Finished opening. To me, that expression means: a rough opening that has been finished (i.e. sheetrocked and painted). Is this what you mean?
I am picturing a wide hallway, or perhaps a doorway with no door... that is wide enough for a french door, that is open clear to the ceiling. Am I on the right track?

Yes XSleeper, it is sheetrocked already. It is a 9' ceiling study room that has a 62 1/4 x 96 opening. I know the header is supported with studs, but with the opening I have, the door won't fit with them. I wanted to know if there was a way to do this without having to remove the existing framing and reframe.
Also, I'll be creating the transom rather than ordering one. Does there need to be a header between the door and the transom or can I frame the transom, attach to the door as one unit, and attach to the header of the opening?
Thanks!

With a 9' ceiling and an 8' tall opening, you already have a header in place. There's no need to install another one. With an opening of 62-1/4 wide, (and you'll need to remove the sheetrock from the jambs and across the top, under the header), you have an opening that is about 63-1/4 wide. You can add a 1X on each jamb, and install a set of 5' wide set of french doors. The only problem you'll have is finding them. They'll have to be special ordered.
The transom window above won't be a problem, as long as it is a full width pane of glass, or panes of glass set in a full width frame.

The short answer is yes, you'll need a header to support the transom window. A 4x4 will be sufficient.
Try and find a set of prehung 2'-6 french doors, set the header after you've set the doors and jamb in place.






Tags: installing, header, between, french, doors, transom, french doors, opening that, above french, above french doors