Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Ge Profile Microwave (Je1390) Stopped Working



Model JE1390
GE Profile microwave sensor convection.
Year: 1998
It worked fine last night and suddenly stopped this morning. No light, no buttons are working. I checked the home fuse and tested electric current in power outlet. The electrical current is in the socket.
I am wondering if there is any internal fuse in these microwave that blew off.
Any help will be appreciated here.
Thanks.
H

Welcome to the DoItYourself.com forums
You can try checking the fuses and door switch. See here:
http://www.repairclinic.com/0088_6_1.asp#Level1_1
If your microwave oven doesn't seem to work at all, check these:
Fuses
Door switch
Fuses
Usually, when your microwave oven doesn't work it all, the internal fuse (thermal fuse) is blown. This fuse protects both you and the oven. When it blows, you need to have a qualified appliance repair technician replace it.
Door switch
If the fuse isn't the problem, check the door hooks and the door-release button. When these are broken, the door switch doesn't activate, so the oven can't work.

I have also have a problem with a GE microwave, however, in my case, the microwave unit does power up. The problem is the last time we used it, it made a louder humming sound than usual and gave off a slight electrical burning odor. I'm afraid to turn it on long enough to see if it still actually will heat something.

adanek,
Not a pro, but it sounds like you may have a bad magnetron or bad high voltage diode according to this:
http://www.applianceaid.com/micro.html#common
or this:
http://www.repairclinic.com/0088_6_1.asp#Level1_7
When the microwave won't heat, but you hear a loud buzz, you usually have a defective power diode, high-voltage capacitor, or magnetron. We recommend that you consult with a qualified appliance repair technician for help in determining the problem and deciding what to do about it.

I have the same problem as Henryy. I have an over the range Sharp, Model R-1820. Where and how can I get to the fuse? Thanks for the help.

All,
Please open new threads for each microwave. Everyone's problem is unique and needs to be addressed separately.
Henryy,
There is a ceramic fuse located somewhere behind the control panel, usually toward the bottom of the case. It's likely bad. Find it, remove it, and take it to any electronics store for a replacement (I would buy 2). Be extreamly careful inside the cabinet. Unplugging the unit doesn't get rid of the electricity that's stored in the high voltage section of the microwave. Don't poke around. Just find and remove the fuse (no voltage there once the microwave is unplugged).
Doug M.

Sharp R-1820 Over the Range Convection/Microwave
Wanted to let you know that to remove the fuse, the microwave had to be removed, the case removed and the fuse was located behind the control panel close to the oven. Found that the fuse was blown, replaced it and everything is fine. Before I re-install it, I will run it to see that the fuse doesn't blow due to a defective component. A new very similar model (R-1870) would have cost me $399.00. So far I've gotten 18 years of use and hope that I can get 5 more. Thanks for you help.

Thanks for the advice and links. And for pointing out the proper protocol for postings.

Thank you for your replies.
I opened the microwave and found out it was the fuse which was blown.
I went to OSH and got 2 fuses for $3 and it working like normal before.
I am glad I visited this site...saved me trouble and money ;-)

1) NEVER BEEN HERE BEFORE
2) I HAD ALREADY CHALKED UP THE MICROWAVE, for a NEW ONE (BIG DEAL...$50-$120) since we only do POPCORN, or MELT BUTTER, etc in...NO COOKING
3) Disassembling a MAJOR APPLIANCE? I feel funny working without a NET!
I went to RADIO SHACK (found the ceramic fuse NOT UNDER THE CONTROL PANEL, but on the rear wall opposite it...SNEAKY), and for $2.99 GOT 4 15AMP 250 volt (they said it means UP TO 250 volt , so ok with 110).
INSTALLED...plugged in before putting the cover back on...IT LIT UP WITH THE TIME....AMAZING...
a few screws later I felt like I was a MASTER ELECTRICIAN WITH A MINOR IN MICROWAVE TECHNOLOGY!
THIS SITE ROCKS!
Beer 4U2

I have a GE spacemaker microwave and some of the buttons do not work. I tried unplugging it for a few minutes and holding in the clear/off button for a few seconds but still does not work. Does anyone know what the problem could be?






Tags: profile, microwave, je1390, stopped, working, appliance repair, appliance repair technician, behind control, behind control panel, ceramic fuse