Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Adding Bullnose To Stairs



I'm having carpet installed on my stairs and I want to add a bullnose to each stair. A contractor said to glue and screw a 3/4 X 3/4 piece of wood to the top of each riser flush with the tread. Is there a standard size? My carpet is a low pile carpet that will be stapled around bullnose to make the bullnose visible. Advice?

Welcome to the forums! Since the bullnose will be taking the brunt of weight of personnel transversing the staircase, Gluing and screwing them may be enough, but I would also either dowel or biscuit them into the tread remnant. What sort of protrusion do you have on the tread at present? Any? Are they regular 1 tread material? Or are they construction treads?

1x2's
2 of them per step, to make an inch and a half, by an inch and a half nose.
Glue(using urethane) and screw each

Thanks Guys. Chandler: The tread does not protrude at all out beyond the riser. The tread is 3/4 plywood. I'm thinking glue and 2 screws.

Screws may not have the holding ability needed in the edge of plywood. I would not do it unless it was dimensional lumber (ie. 5/4 tread material). Wait on other responses, but IMO, replacing the treads may be the only way you will achieve a strong nosing.






Tags: bullnose, stairs, inch half, tread material